Some of the Christopher clan also came out to visit, and Kate got to meet her "cousin" (actually 2nd once removed), Jared. K and I also got schooled in a vicious game of Texas Hold 'Em, but I was too busy holding the baby and my cards and losing to take any pictures of that.
On Sunday, we got the local family together (Grand Aunt Janice not pictured) to celebrate mother's day. We made a potato bar and took it easy with them- my kind of day!
It was strange experiencing mother's day as a mom for the first time, but it gave me a chance to stop and reflect a little. I love being a mother. It is the hardest and best thing I have ever done or will ever do. When we found out we were expecting, many people warned us that our lives would change. It's true, but it is such a welcome overhaul. I love knowing that she needs us so much and being able to fulfill her needs. I am a less selfish person- a better person- now that I have a child. I cannot imagine what life would be without her. She is such an integral part of Rob's and my life now. I knew it would make me appreciate more what my parents went through with me and my brother, but I didn't realize to what extent. I am forever grateful for having such loving parents who taught me by example. We tell her we love her all the time, and if Rob and I are together with her, often we will answer back for her "I love you too, Mommy". She smiles at us, trusts us, and seems happiest when we are near, but I asked Rob the other day if he thought she could really love us already. I feel somehow that she does, but I wonder what an eight week old can feel. Rob told me he distinctly remembers being a small infant and knowing he loved his parents deeply. I don't know if she will remember these times... most likely not, but I do know she loves us. I have to trust her like she trusts me, and just know it. I've heard it said that having a child is like having your heart walk around without you. Well, she's not walking yet, but she definitely takes my heart with her wherever she goes.