Thursday, September 2, 2010

Preschool

Today was Kathryn's first official day of preschool.
A few months ago when we talked about it she wanted to know just what exactly these "pre-s" were. She seemed eager to learn all about them.

The deal is- she'll go two days a week for two hours. It doesn't sound like much, but believe me, for us it's a big deal. Her teacher is lovely and really impressed me by not trying to impress me. She is just genuine with the kids, patient, and talks to them as the real people they are.

I was a little weepy, but Kathryn was absolutely fine. The only tears from Kathryn came when I picked her up and she did not want to leave. She was eating a snack, and appeared to be the only kid who wrote her own name on her place mat. Show off.

We deliberately sent her to a school where the kids can just play for most of the time (no formal lessons, etc... can you imagine? "Kathryn... this is the letter A..." um, yeah.). The toys and activity choices are carefully and strategically selected by the teachers, so they are definitely building knowledge, but the kids have lots of choices and the teachers facilitate. It seems like Montessori to me, but don't tell them that... they could charge a lot more than they do!

I am so excited for her. I am excited for the one-on-one time with Niamh.

This is a good thing. This is a very good thing.

1 comment:

JessieJo said...

Yikes! Already not looking forward to that next fall, but at the same time, I am, a little! Good for you for only being a little weepy. I can't believe how big Kate is, and so beautiful! Miss you all