Thursday, March 22, 2007

Last Night

Dear Kathryn,

Wow! What a wonderful night. It was our first night together at home as a family. I think that Mom and I wanted nothing more than to get some sleep. Somehow we knew, though, that wasn't going to happen. We were right. It wasn't that you stayed up all night, because you slept throught the majority of it. Mom tried depserately to feed you, and help you to sleep, but didn't have any luck at all. Finally, both of us exhausted, I suggested that she hand you over to me and let me try for a while to comfort you to sleep. I held you in my arms, and, pacing back and forth in the bedroom, whispered to you and made shushing noises until you finally fell asleep. You would soon awaken every time I tried to put you down into the bassinet. So it continued, you waking up crying, me picking you up and walking with you until you fell asleep, and then you waking up again as soon as I put you down. Finally, I realized that the only way any of us would get any sleep is if I kept holding you. So I did, seemingly all night. Later I heard Mom snoring softly next to us as you slept and I stood watch. I felt like, in that moment, maybe you knew how much I loved you.

I could hold it over Mom's head that I got you to sleep when she could not, but I know that in a few short days from now, when her milk comes in, she will be the one with all of the magical powers, not me. But tonight was special, because you and I got to spend all that time together. I'd heard from friends (read: Kelly) that you'll never know how much you can love another person until you have a child of your own. I now know what she was talking about. Mom and I have only spent about 48 hours with you, and already we love you more than I think we ever could have thought possible. The Lord has truly, truly blessed us. And I don't even feel tired.

Thanks for staying up with me last night. I will never, ever, forget the time we shared together.

Love, Dad