Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mommy Fail

 Kathryn's preschool class hosted a mother's day tea last week. With much anticipation that morning, we curled hair and selected dresses and shoes while she gave me cryptic hints about the present she had been preparing for at least a week and a half (which is 13 years in preschooler time I think). Rob took her to school, and I finished getting ready. I had checked my Cozi (online calendar) a few times during the week, and got my reminder that morning. 11:00 am on the dot. I wanted to make sure to be early to this very special occasion, so I left the house with plenty of time to spare. On my way, I had a what-if sinking feeling, and called my friend D. "It's at 11:00, right?" "No, 10:30." (I start speeding.) "Tell her I'm sorry and I'm on my way!" I got there at 10:37, I think. I missed the songs. Thirty-ish kids dressed up, lined up, singing charming little tunes, and all but one Mom there to take it all in. D. took videos, and I asked for her to send them to me. K. was fine for the first two, just confused, searching for me, nowhere to be found. Then, during the song about how Mommy is always there for me... you can just imagine. She didn't throw a fit or scream, but she knew I wasn't there. She was heartbroken, wiping her red face streaming with tears. I came in a few moments later, but the songs were over. We had a big hug, and I gave her a million kisses and "I'm sorry's". Her teacher, Ms. M. said if she had only known, she would have stalled for a few minutes, but no one told her I wasn't there. Maybe it didn't occur to anyone. (D. was wrangling two kiddos and thought I just meant for her to tell K., which I did! Asking her to have Ms. M wait a minute or two didn't cross my mind either.) The whole thing is just so sad.

The incredible Ms. M gave K. the special job of handing out the gifts, which were hand-painted pots with flowers in them, and cards from each child. The cards contained info. from each child about the mom's age, hair/eye color, favorite food, etc...
 
What caught my attention was how many of these kids perceived their mom's favorite activity to be cleaning or being on the computer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be judgmental (we all know how thrilling online banking and unloading the dishwasher can be) but Kathryn said that my favorite thing is to play with her and Neevie. That means the world to me.

We had cookies and punch, and really, it's not like I missed the whole thing.
In fact, I was there for most of it.
"But mom, you missed the best part."

The actual invitation had been on the refrigerator. Along with about 15 kiddo art masterpieces. It got lost in the shuffle. As for the Cozi, either I entered the time incorrectly, or it was "corrected"/changed and I just didn't catch it (which has happened before- but I noticed those times- argh!).  I goofed, I really messed up, but it was a lesson in how everyone -even Mommy- makes mistakes, and also a lesson in forgiveness. It was a reminder to me that love is not about being perfect, it is about love.

I asked her how she wanted to spend the rest of the day. She said first, a walk in the park. She chose Houston Gardens, and we walked for a long time. I was in heels. It didn't matter. She asked me to carry her a couple of times, just for a minute. I did. She will be starting kindergarten in the fall, seriously, how many more chances will I get? I am lucky to have so many moments with the girls where it feels like time just stops. Everything is beautiful and perfect, and I take a snapshot in my heart. This was one of those.
She really wanted pictures of these flowers.
  We had lunch at our favorite noodle joint, and ran into a school friend's mom who missed most of this year's preschool Christmas program (for the same reason!). She shared some reassuring words. 
Sometimes I think things are too coincidental to be coincidental.
I sure do love her, no matter what, and am just so thankful it is mutual.

No comments: