Thursday, April 1, 2010

The doer

Kathryn told me this week she is a doer, not a watcher. It is a true insight.

We had a rough morning the other day. She loves gymnastics, but has a really hard time waiting even a few moments for her turn, and she was not listening to her teacher at all. He is very patient with the kids, but she went out of her way to test and was put in time-out near the end of class. We talked about it later, and she understands why it's important for her to be patient even when it's really hard to do so. I think she'll try her best, and that's all I can ask. I'm also going to help her run off some energy *before* gymnastics from now on.

She is so precocious that sometimes I do forget she is still just little. I know she is capable of so much, and I find myself having these huge expectations of her. At the same time, more than anything, I just want her to feel happy, loved and secure. She was devastated about the morning, so I wanted us to have a better (and active!) afternoon.

One of the many things I love about staying at home with the girls is how often I can say yes to activities. Kathryn wanted to play in the water outside later that day. Yes, it was a little windy, yes, she was in a dress. This is the kind of mom I want to be as often as I can though- fun, relaxed and present.

No comments: